Are you drowning in a plethora of numerology labels? Do you see a lot of words, like “heart’s desire” , “destiny” or “life purpose” and you are not sure how to decipher their numerology meaning for your name and birthday?
Here is a cheat sheet of common expressions and their definitions that will help you understand the numerology meanings in your life.
What do the numbers mean?
My method, as a numerologist, goes by the Pythagoras system, basically using numbers 0-9. This is considered Western numerology. Each number has a vibration or energy that is unique to itself and has an effect on you and the environment. Example: the number 1 is the vibration of new beginnings and leadership. It is the force that moves things forward. Each number has a brilliance and a shadow. The shadow of one is stubbornness, egotism and impatience. In numerology, we find the numbers in your name and your birthday to analyze how you thrive in life.
Numbers also appear everywhere around you, in nature, music, art, physics, addresses. All are codes for you to discover.
The letters of the alphabet (in Pythagoras methodology, revolve around the number 1-9 vibrations.) There are others systems (like Chaldean) that do not use the 9 in their calculations. See two samples below of each system.
Definitions used in Numerology
Vibrations or energies achieved through your birthday numbers.
- Life Path or Life Purpose (often called the destiny number) is the total sum of your birth numbers. The life path number is your journey in life, what you are here to do.
Find your destiny here.
- Inspiration number (or catalyst number, achievement number or sun number) is the sum of your month and day of birth. This is the number that helps you thrive in your destiny. So if you have a destiny of 1 (the leader and inspirer) and a catalyst number of 3 (creativity and self expression), what helps you grow in your life purpose is to surround yourself with creative people and to be creative in every project) You would definitely not thrive if you had a mundane job that did not challenge you. Read about your catalyst number here.
- Personal year is the total sum of your birthday month, day and current year. This is the theme of the year you are going through and changes each year when the year changes in January. Find your personal year here.
Vibrations or energies achieved through your birth name (that is on your birth certificate)
- Soul’s Urge or Soul’s Essence is the vowels of your birth name added together. This vibration (fondly called your heart’s desire) is the inner you, your true motivation. That which is closest to your heart. It is who you are, before any outside influences such as environmental, psychological or family upbringing.
- Personality number (or value system number) is the total of the consonants in your name added together. This vibration (also called the outer you) represents how others see you and the people and energies that you attract in your life.
- Expression number (this is sometimes called the “destiny number“, but lets call it “expression number” for easier understanding in this post.) The expression number is found by adding the consonants (personality number) and your vowels (soul’s urge) together. The numerological vibration of this sum represents the way you express yourself. The opportunities you have at your disposal, is expressed through your actions and your voice. Read more about the soul’s essence, expression number and value system number here.
- Growth Number (or Key number) is the total sum of your first name. This is the number that helps you grow in life. (Check out Marilyn Monroe’s growth number)
- Karmic numbers (not to be mistaken for Karmic debt numbers) are the numbers that are missing in your full name that is on your birth certificate. (See above Pythagoras chart to see which letters correlate to each number) If you are missing a number, it is the lesson in life you have come here to learn. It also can be a past life lesson. Read about karmic numbers here.
- Karmic debt numbers. There are four popular double digit numbers that are known to be karmic debt numbers: 13/4;14/5;16/7;19/1. You can find these numbers through your birthday, name and numbers that show up all the time for you in your everyday life. These numbers are believed to be a debt to pay in this lifetime. Read about 14/5 here.
Also read more about karmic numbers from Creative Numerology by Christine Delorey